Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:Defense secretary to hold meeting on "reckless, dangerous" attacks by Houthis on commercial ships in Red Sea -Capitatum
Johnathan Walker:Defense secretary to hold meeting on "reckless, dangerous" attacks by Houthis on commercial ships in Red Sea
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 01:49:56
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced he'll convene a virtual meeting of defense ministers Tuesday to address the attacks the Houthis,Johnathan Walker a Shiite Islamist group backed by Iran, are launching against commercial ships in the Red Sea.
"These attacks are reckless, dangerous, and they violate international law," Austin said Monday during a trip to Israel. "This is not just a U.S. issue. This is an international problem, and it deserves an international response."
Austin is on a multi-day tour of the Middle East, visiting Kuwait, Israel, Qatar and Bahrain. Since the Israel-Hamas conflict started, there have been rising tensions elsewhere in the region.
The Houthis in Yemen have threatened to target any commercial ship they believe is headed to Israel until Israel allows more aid into Gaza. The Houthis, like Hamas, have a supply of drones and ballistic missiles they have been using in the Red Sea.
Since the Houthis are targeting commercial ships from multiple countries, the U.S. is pushing for an international task force that can protect commercial ships as they sail through the Red Sea.
There is already a framework in place, the Combined Task Force 153 (CTF 153), which was created in 2022 with the mission to protect ships in the Red Sea, Bab el-Mandeb and Gulf of Aden. That framework ensures there is a base in place, but it needs other countries to pledge ships in order to complete the buildout of the task force.
"Because this is a coalition of the willing, it's up to individual nations as to which parts of the combined maritime task force mission they will support," Pentagon press secretary Maj. Gen. Patrick Ryder told reporters last week. "We're working through that process right now, in terms of which countries will be participating in Task Force 153, and specifically what capabilities and types of support they will provide."
There have been over a dozen incidents in the Red Sea since the beginning of the war between Israel and Hamas. Over the weekend, the USS Carney, an American guided-missile destroyer, shot down 14 drones that had been launched from Houthi-controlled territory in Yemen.
Defense officials said of the incidents that it's not clear whether the Houthis are targeting the U.S. ships specifically or commercial ships nearby, but in each shootdown, the drones or missiles came close enough to the U.S. ships that commanders have decided to shoot them down.
The ongoing threat has prompted several shipping giants, like Maersk and BP, to prohibit their ships from entering the Red Sea. The decision to avoid such a major commercial waterway threatens to disrupt global supply chains.
- In:
- War
- Houthi Movement
- Hamas
- Israel
- Civil War
- Yemen
- Middle East
CBS News reporter covering the Pentagon.
TwitterveryGood! (5129)
Related
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Border deal's prospects in doubt amid Republican opposition ahead of Senate vote
- Taylor Swift will likely take her private plane from Tokyo to Las Vegas for the Super Bowl. But the jet comes with emissions – and criticism.
- Endangered panther killed by train in South Florida, marking 5th such fatality this year
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Anna “Chickadee” Cardwell Shares Hope of Getting Married Prior to Her Death
- 4 Republican rivals for West Virginia governor spar on issues at debate
- Inside Pregnant Bhad Bhabie's Love Story-Themed Baby Shower
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Usher songs we want to hear at the Super Bowl 58 halftime show, from 'Yeah!' to 'OMG'
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Courteney Cox Showcases Her Fit Figure in Bikini Before Plunging Into an Ice Bath
- Edmonton Oilers' win streak ends at 16 games after loss to Vegas Golden Knights
- Trump immunity claim rejected by appeals court in 2020 election case
- Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
- Fans raise a red Solo cup to honor Toby Keith, who immortalized the humble cup in song
- Pennsylvania man charged with flying drone over Baltimore stadium during AFC championship game
- Tiger King’s Carole Baskin asks Florida Supreme Court to review defamation lawsuit ruling
Recommendation
Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
'Mass chaos': 2 shot, including teen, after suspect opens fire inside Indiana gym
Honda recalls 750,000 vehicles in U.S. to replace faulty air bags
Man awarded $25 million after Oklahoma newspaper mistakenly identified him as sports announcer who made racist comments
Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
Slain CEO’s parents implore Maryland lawmakers to end good behavior credits for rapists
Andrew Whitworth's advice for rocking 'The Whitworth,' his signature blazer and hoodie combo
Miss Japan Winner Karolina Shiino Renounces Title After Alleged Affair